September 11, 2015
Dear Herbison Woods’ families:
Welcome to the 2015-2016 school year!
Herbison Woods’ staff is Capturing Kids’ Hearts! What exactly does that mean? The teaching staff at Herbison Woods’ are working on building positive, productive, trusting relationships — among themselves and with their students.
We want students to know that we are happy they are at school and are an important member of our school family.
Engaging with students first thing is essential for students to have a successful day. Teachers will greet each
student at the door with a handshake, affirm each student, and welcome the students into their class, by giving them their full attention, first thing.
Teachers will establish an atmosphere of trust in which the students feel safe to learn from their mistakes. Each class will collaboratively create a class social contract by answering the following questions:
· How do you want to be treated by me (teacher)?
· How do you want to treat each other?
· How do you think I (teacher) want to be treated by you (students)?
· How do we want to treat each other when there is a conflict?
The social contract provides consistency because everyone knows the rules—what is acceptable and what is not, as well as the consequences. This common understanding provides the students the foundation for positive interactions with the teacher and with each other. The social contract also creates self-managing classrooms as each student takes responsibility for his or her own behavior, and students becomeempowered because they experience encouragement and support.
This school year is underway and we are committed to helping each child reach his/her potential by first building a positive, productive and trusting relationship with your child!
“If you have a child’s heart, you have his head.”™ - Flip Flippen
- - Volunteer Opportunities: If you are interested in volunteering at Herbison Woods, we have a few opportunities that may interest you. We are looking for a few parent volunteers to assist us with:
· Tracking the number of Behavior Bucks our students earn on a weekly basis. The results will be displayed in a showcase/ bulletin board.
· Counting and organizing Labels for Education.
· Creating certificates for students who have earned a certificate for Perfect Attendance on a monthly basis.
If you are interested in any of these volunteer opportunities, please email Mrs. Milner at email@example.com.
- - Drop-off and Pick-up: Thank you for your patience as we adjust to the changes in our drop-off and pick-up loop. Here are a few reminders to keep students safe and the flow of traffic moving. Students should not be dropped off or picked up on Pride Drive. Also, if you are dropping off your child in the morning, please let your child out as soon as you are in the loop. Remaining in the loop prevents others behind you from exiting. We appreciate your cooperation as we create a safer environment for our students!
Keep in touch –
Mrs. Vicky Milner, Principal
Parent Info >